3.jpg

Work was begun on the church on the 12th of April, 1894. By the 29th it was almost under roof. On the same day a cyclone laid it in ruins. Bowed in humility by this visitation of God, the congregation decided to go ahead with the building plans. By July 25th it was finished, painted by September 5th, decorated inside by October 15. On October 3rd the people received word that their beloved pastor, Rev. C.B. Jacobsen had died in Bergen Norway, on September 19th. The church bell was tolled for the first time in his honor.

The church was dedicated on Sunday October 21, 1894 by Rev. H.J. Strand of Albert Lea, Minnesota, assisted by Pastors Gremstad and Sherven. The first congregational meeting was held in the new church on Sunday, December 27, 1894. Pastor G. Smedal conducted his first service, Sunday, March 17, 1895. It became the custom to hold services every fourth Sunday as well as second day of Church Festivals, and New Year's Day. The congregation, though, met every Sunday for reading services, Bible study, and instruction of the children. Mr. B.K. Johnson, and Mr. John Egenes are named as first Directors of the Sunday meetings. The first officers were: President, Rev. C.B. Jacobsen, Secretary-Treasurer, Mr. B.J. Johnson, Klokker, Mr. P.O. Ferkin, Sexton, Mr. M.T. Waula. The first delegates elected to a Synod meeting were Mr. S.H. Twedt and Mr. P.O. Ferkin for the year 1905. John Prestbo was the first
song leader.

20190407_112935
20190407_112935

press to zoom
KL
KL

press to zoom
Knute and Bertha Lura
Knute and Bertha Lura

press to zoom
1/3
Anna Katherine Johnson Waula
Anna Katherine Johnson Waula

press to zoom
cover
cover

press to zoom
martin waula home
martin waula home

press to zoom
1/5
Ole Johnson 4
Ole Johnson 4

press to zoom
ole johnson
ole johnson

press to zoom
Ole Johnson 3
Ole Johnson 3

press to zoom
1/5